Custard Apple and Vanilla Bean Tarts
- 30 mins
- 15-20 mins
- A little time and effort
Chef Matt Golinski Presents Mountain Delight Pink Mammoth Custard Apples and Vanilla Bean Custard Tarts. The combination of crunchy homemade pastry, real vanilla custard and fresh Mountain Delight custard apple pulp is the perfect way to enjoy this luscious tropical fruit.
- 2 cups of Mountain Delight custard apple pulp, drained (approx. 4 small custard apples)
- 250gm plain flour
- 125gm unsalted butter
- 50ml iced water
- 3 egg yolks
- 30gm plain flour
- 50gm castor sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 250ml milk
- 300ml cream
- lemon balm leaves to garnish
- Lightly grease 12 x 6cm fluted tart tins.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place flour and butter into the bowl of a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- With the motor running, add the iced water and process until the pastry comes together into a smooth dough.
- Roll into a log and cut the pastry into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll out into 8cm circles and line each tart tin, pressing the pastry firmly into the sides and trimming around the top edges.
- Line each tart shell with baking paper, fill with uncooked rice or beans, and blind bake until the pastry is cooked.
- Remove rice and allow to cool.
- Place milk in a small saucepan with the vanilla bean and heat until almost boiling.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and flour, and slowly whisk in the hot milk.
- Scrape back into the saucepan and stir over a low heat until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Whip the cream until firm and fold through the cooled custard.
- Divide the custard mixture between the 12 tart shells and top each with a generous spoonful of the Mountain Delight custard apple pulp.
- Garnish with lemon balm or mint leaves and serve immediately.
Credits: Recipe inspired by Chef Matt Golinski for All Aussie Farmers.