Thai Red Curry of Chicken and Custard Apple
- 10 mins
- 45 mins
- A little time and effort
Lunch & Dinner
Thai style deliciousness!
- 2 410 g tins of light coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste
- 1 kg chicken thigh meat, trimmed of skin and fat, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 500 mL water
- 150 mL Thai fish sauce
- 1 large lime, juice of
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, washed and torn
- 2 medium red chillies, seeded and sliced on the diagonal
- 12 stalks Thai sweet basil, leaves only
- 1 medium custard apple, peeled, seeded and broken into segments
- Add 200 ml coconut milk to a hot fry pan or wok and simmer for five minutes.
- Stir in the red curry paste and simmer for another five minutes. Gradually pour in remaining coconut milk and water, stirring constantly, then add the chicken pieces. Simmer gently 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except custard apple.
- Taste for sugar, salt fish sauce and lime juice and adjust if necessary.
- Simmer another 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Turn off heat, add custard apple and stir through - don't let the custard apple cook.
- Serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice.
- if you like a hot curry, leave the seeds in the chillies.
- Add Custard Apple segments (seeds removed) just prior to serving.
- The best way to remove the custard apple seeds without mashing the pulp with a fork is to scoop out the seeds with the tip of a knife.