Chicken with Custard Apple Sauce
- 30 mins
- 45 mins
- A little time and effort
Lunch & Dinner
A new take on using custard apples - for a fabulous main course try this one! The chicken stays moist and tender. Best served with a mash to soak up the sauce.
- 250ml (1 cup) custard apple puree
- 200ml plain yoghurt (low-fat is good)
- 3tbsp caster sugar
- 8 chicken pieces (skin on)
- 3 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 125ml chicken stock
- olive oil
- Mix together 250ml custard apple puree, 200ml thick plain yoghurt, and 3 tablespoons caster sugar. Set aside.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large pan with a lid and brown the chicken pieces quickly.
- Meanwhile, slice the onions and chop the garlic finely. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and gently cook the onion and garlic until soft and golden.
- Add the chicken stock and stir to deglaze the pan, return the chicken to the pan, cover and simmer slowly until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces. Reduce the remaining liquid in the pan to about 1/3 of a cup. Add the custard apple mixture to the liquid in the pan, stir well and season to taste.