Custard Apple & Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 20 mins
- 2-3 hours to freeze
- A little time and effort
How incredible do these ice cream sandwiches look? Cookies and ice cream are always a crowd-pleasing combination, and this recipe using our favourite fruit is no exception!
- 1 custard apple
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 170g butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup (95g) caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup (50g) brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups (180g) flour
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- Scoop custard apple flesh out of the skin and remove any seeds. Add custard apple flesh and any juices to a blender with the coconut milk and blend until smooth.
- Pour custard apple mixture into a 33 x 24cm shallow tray (or similar). Cover and freeze for 2 hours. Remove from the freezer and mash with a fork, then freeze again until firm.
- Meanwhile, make the cookies – Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a large tray with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars together on a medium speed for 1-2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat until just combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Roll tablespoons of the cookie dough mixture into balls and place them 5 cm apart on a lined baking tray (the cookies will spread in the oven). Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the edges just start to brown. Allow cookies to cool completely on a wire cooling rack then store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- 7. Assemble the ice cream sandwiches – remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften for 10 minutes. Use a cookie cutter roughly the same size as the cookies to cut a round of custard apple ice cream. Sandwich between two cookies and serve immediately.
Credit: Recipe inspired by Eat's with Marie