Creative Ideas for Eating Custard Apples
There are simply endless ways to enjoy deliciously sweet custard apples. Let's go on a culinary arts journey to see how. Firstly though, do you want to know the quickest way to remove the seeds? Place custard apple flesh in a blender and whiz for 2 seconds. That way the seeds will separate from the pulp and can be scooped out easily.
- Combine custard apple segments in fruit salads or add to mashed bananas.
- Add the pulp to ice-cream and sorbet recipes, drinks, and desserts, or fillings for cakes.
- Use as an accompaniment to spicy curry dishes.
- For an energy packed breakfast, serve custard apple beside yoghurt, with orange juice soaked muesli.
- Spoon out one cup of pulp into a parfait glass, add pulp of 1 passionfruit, 1 cup of custard and top with whipped cream.
- Add custard apple segments to a prawn or seafood cocktail.
- Scoop flesh into blender and add a 50/50 ratio of orange juice, or milk and coffee, or strawberries, or milk with nutmeg on top, or ginger ale.
- A cocktail comes alive with 400g custard apple flesh, juice of 1 lemon and 185ml gin. Mix, cover and chill. Serve in chilled glasses with garnish.
- Spoon custard apple segments into meringue cases with top with cream and strawberry slices.
- Flavours that complement custarard apple include cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon, orange, honey and vanilla.
For more mouth-watering meals showcasing custard apples, see the Recipes section.